Crime

Hatton Garden thief shows police where he hid loot

Police investigating the Hatton Garden robbery have recovered what is believed to be some of the stolen property after one of the raiders led them to his share of the loot.

Daniel Jones, 58, who pleaded guilty to plotting the raid last month, is believed to have been accompanied by an armed convoy and a police helicopter from Belmarsh prison to a cemetery in North London, where he showed police where to excavate.

Related Articles

The recovery comes after Jones allegedly sent a letter to Sky News in which he claimed police were ignoring his offer to show them where he hid his share of the loot.

Jones allegedly wrote to Martin Brunt, crime correspondent at Sky News: “I’ve instructed my solicitor…to tell the police Flying Squad that I want to give back my share of [the] Hatton Garden burglary, they said it’s in motion.

“I now understand that the police said that the prison Belmarsh won’t release me to the police. What a load of bull.

“The police can’t want it back, as I’m the only person in the world to no [know] where it is, deep down. I want to do the right thing and give it back.”

Jones is one of four men who have admitted their part in the raid over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend in which a gang broke into the Hatton Garden Safe Deposit company and took an estimated £20m worth of valuables.

It is believed that a “significant” amount of the haul still remains missing. Five other men who pleaded not guilty are due to stand trial next month.

A spokesperson for the Met told Jewellery Focus: “On October 15 officers from the Met Police Flying Squad searched a venue in north London as part of an ongoing investigation where property was recovered.”

They added that in regards to anybody assisting with the recovery, the Met is not willing to discuss an ongoing investigation.

Back to top button