To celebrate, Brian Duffy, CEO of The Watches of Switzerland Group and Richard de Leyser, managing director of Rolex, hosted an event night at the BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art to commemorate and thank its “loyal” north east clients and businesses.
As part of its centenary year, The Watches of Switzerland Group have partnered with Rolex to provide 100 watches each with a commemorative engraving to mark the anniversary.
Founded in London by Hans Wilsdorf in 1905, the Rolex Watch Company moved to Geneva in 1919, a city renowned internationally for watchmaking. It was first stocked by Northern Goldsmiths, situated on the corner of Pilgrim Street and Blackett Street, the most long-standing store in the Goldsmiths estate which features its very own Rolex shop-in-shop.
Craig Bolton, executive director for Mappin and Webb and Goldsmiths, said: “We’re truly honoured to have partnered with Rolex for 100 years, it’s a huge part of Goldsmith’s history and a significant milestone and privilege for our group.
“Northern Goldsmiths has a special place in the hearts of people in the north east and we look forward to continue welcoming Rolex customers for years to come.”
Clare Crabb, north regional director at The Prince’s Trust, added: “We help young people to succeed in education, whatever barriers they may have faced, and donations such as those from The Watches of Switzerland Group and Rolex help The Prince’s Trust to extend our reach in Newcastle and further afield.
“This enables more young people to live, learn and earn, and we are very grateful for the support. We also look forward to welcoming The Watches of Switzerland Group’s colleagues to our volunteering community very soon.”