CoronavirusEvents

Have your say: Baselworld lays out refund policy

Baselworld has announced it is planning to withhold exhibitor’s fees for the cancelled 2020 show and instead shift them to the event the following year. 

MCH Group, which organised the event, said it would now carry forward 85% of the fees to Baselworld 2021, with the remaining 15% used to “partially offset out-of-pocket costs already accrued”. 

The event was set to take place between 30 April and 5 May. The organisers have also offered exhibitors the option to alternatively request a cash refund, which would account for up to 30% of the fees, with 40% carried forward to Baselworld 2021.

It was announced last month that the 2020 show had been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic, just hours after Switzerland Federal Council banned events of more than 1,000 people.

MCH Group said that the event had garnered “substantial financial commitments”, and that a “major portion of the expenditures” in its preparation had already been made by the time of cancellation.

In a statement, it said it would “like to express its sincere support to the whole community and its stakeholders in these very difficult times we are all facing”.

Michel Loris-Melikoff, managing director of Baselworld, said: “We are all in this together and that is why we are committed to supporting our exhibitors as best we can in these turbulent times. 

“We are offering unprecedented conditions, which go far beyond contractual obligations (general terms and conditions) and are much more generous than the vast majority of similar European shows that had to be cancelled or postponed.” 

He added: “It seemed essential to make these significant financial efforts. I wish for all of us a return to business as soon as possible.”

Comment below or write into the Jewellery Focus newsdesk (newsdesk@jewelleryfocus.co.uk) with your thoughts on the refund policy and whether it goes far enough for exhibitors.

Back to top button